The Housing Accommodations committee reviews requests from students with disability-based housing needs. If you are seeking an accommodation in University housing:
- Contact University & Community Housing Services (UCHS) via phone at 805-893-4371 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the online Housing Accommodations process.
- Complete the online form and, understand by doing so, give committee members permission to contact the student's clinician for clarification, if needed.
- Have the student's clinician complete the Diagnosing Professional’s Form, a questionnaire comprised of nine specific inquiries, which is emailed to the student after completing their portion of the online process.
- Once the required questionnaire is completed by the student's clinician, the student should upload the document and then the request for accommodations based on medical need will be ready for review at a subsequent committee meeting. Please DO NOT have the clinician send the document to UCSB on the student's behalf; rather, the student needs to upload it in conjunction with their request as detailed in email correspondence.
Please note that the review committee is comprised of staff from the Disabled Students Program, Student Health Services, and Residential & Community Living. The committee meets monthly and the process can take up to six weeks before the student is notified about the status of their request. As such, UCSB students can submit requests in conjunction with an active University housing application - even if on a waitlist - or a completed contract.
- The student must be eligible and have applied for University housing as well as meet deadlines and make payments established by UCHS. If the student is concerned about their housing eligibility or has any other questions, please consult the UCHS office staff.
- The Request for Housing Accommodations is supplemental to the University housing contract and an approved accommodation does not necessarily equate to a priority contract; rather, a student must secure a contract through the regular process before accommodations can be met, pending available space.
- The Diagnosing Professional’s Form must be completed by a certified, licensed professional clinician (e.g., primary care or other physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, LCSW, or LMFT) that is not a relative of the applicant.
- To request a disability accommodation for an emotional support cat or dog, please contact UCHS to inquire about a separate process which requires a cover letter as well as a letter of support from a diagnosing professional and can take up to eight weeks before you are notified about the status of your request.
- The Housing Accommodations committee only recommends reasonable accommodations based on documented medical need; housing preferences - including those for mutually preferred roommates - are handled by UCHS through a separate process.
- You will be notified about the status of your request after the committee has reviewed your documentation and decided whether an accommodation is recommended.
- If approved, UCHS will make every effort to accommodate approved needs, as space allows; however, if we are unable to do so then a student would be able to cancel their contract without penalty and UCHS can provide resources and support for community housing.
Resolve a grievance:
If you have a grievance about the Housing Accommodations process or outcome, you should submit a Resolve a Grievance Form.