Frequently Asked Questions

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), mandates by law that college students are considered adults and are allowed to determine who will receive information about them. Under this law, parents/guardians who want to receive information about their student's behavioral records can only do so if their student signs a "Release of Information Form." these waivers are available through Housing, Dining & Auxiliary Enterprises' Student Conduct staff. 

In most cases, the University will not contact parents/guardians or provide disciplinary information without the student's permission. In the case of an extreme emergency, where the student's health is in serious jeopardy, or if there is a concern that the student poses a threat to themselves or someone else, the University will contact parents/guardians. For more information on FERPA, visit:

Depending on the appropriate adjudication process, students will have one of the following:

  • a one-on-one meeting with a Hearing Officer;
  • a hearing with the Peer Review Board which consists of 3-5 members;
  • a hearing with University Hearing Officers which consists of 2-3 members; or
  • a Restorative Justice Circle

If you choose, you may bring a person to the meeting for support (i.e. parent, friend, advisor). This person may take notes for you or assist you in organizing documents, but may not speak for you or interfere with the conduct process. This includes lawyers, interpreters, doctors, social workers, etc. You should not bring witnesses or involved persons to the meeting, but should bring their contact information and submit it to the Conduct Officer if appropriate.

It is always preferred to meet in person, however there are instances in which an in person meeting is not feasible. "Phone meetings" are conducted on a case-by-case basis and are an exception to standard procedure. Privacy concerns do not allow us to discuss details of individual cases over the phone, however procedural inquiries can be described in detail. Students are encouraged to make an appointment by the designated deadline in their letter. Same day appointments are not usually available.

The conduct meeting serves as your opportunity to discuss your role in the incident. The focus of inquiry in judicial proceedings is to determine whether those persons being charged violated University and/or Housing policy. During the meeting the Conduct Officer will review the incident and charges with you and allow you to refute the complaint. Following the meeting, the Hearing Officer will inform you in writing of the decision and whether a violation of policy was established by a preponderance of the evidence.

Residents and guests who are 21 or older may consume alcohol within the privacy of their own room or suite. At no time can the consumption or storage of alcohol become public, meaning it cannot be viewed publicly from your room. It is also a violation of policy for persons under the age of 21 to be in the presence of alcohol (sealed or open) or in the presence of others consuming alcohol.

No. While repeatedly violating policies will have additional disciplinary action, it is not necessary to violate a policy three times to receive the highest level of sanction. Similarly, some violations will result in removal from Housing and the University, despite having no previous history of misconduct.

If you fail to complete or comply with the terms of an assigned sanction, a hold can be placed on your student account prohibiting you from registering for classes and completing any other university business. The hold will only be lifted after you have completed your assigned sanctions.

Yes. Students are entitled access to their disciplinary file. Students can make written request to the Hearing Officer listed on your letter or by contacting the Housing, Dining & Auxiliary Enterprises' Student Conduct staff at 805-893-3281. The Conduct Officer is usually able to fulfill this request within two business days. In order to maintain standards of confidentiality, personally identifiable information of other persons listed in the report will be redacted.

If you become concerned that a student is developing a problem, contact the UCSB Alcohol and Drug Program. General information: 805-893-5013. Counseling and Psychological Services located in Building 599 is also available: 805-893-4411.