UNDERGRADUATE APARTMENTS (El Dorado, San Joaquin, Santa Ynez, Sierra Madre, and Westgate) provide furnished apartments for single (unmarried) full-time UCSB students. Most apartments have shared bedrooms and are rented on an academic year basis (9-months).
- Takes place on-line.
- Continuing students who are current residents complete a self-assignment process in the first half of January each year to return the following academic year.
- Non-resident continuing students apply for housing in the first half of January and spaces are allocated through a lottery process. Results are available by the end of January.
- Continuing students must currently be in their 2nd year or higher (of attendance, not units) during the January application process to be eligible for the apartments. Students currently enrolled in their first academic year are eligible to return to the Residence Halls.
- New transfer students, EAP students and re-admitted students apply between May 1 and June 1; lottery results will be available by June 10.
- Students who will be Juniors and Seniors in the upcoming fall (based on attendance, not units), and who are full-time, regularly enrolled UCSB students are eligible.
- Students coming to UCSB through the Education Abroad Program or the UC Intercampus Exchange Program are eligible, pending availability.
- UCSB Extension students may be eligible for the Undergraduate Apartments, pending availability.
Furnishings & Facilities
- Bedrooms are carpeted and contain an extra long twin size bed, a closet, a drawer, a desk and chair for each student.
- Kitchens have vinyl flooring and are equipped with cabinets, a sink with garbage disposal, a stove and a refrigerator. Appliances other than those furnished are not permitted.
- Living/Dining Rooms are carpeted and furnished with a couch, chair, end tables, coffee table, lamps, dining table and dining chairs. Santa Ynez apartments also contain an entertainment center cabinet.
- Bathrooms have a tub-shower unit, wash basin, toilet and medicine cabinets. Two-bedroom apartments in Santa Ynez have 1.5 bathrooms. Two bedroom apartments in El Dorado have 2 full bathrooms.
- High-speed wireless internet access is provided free of charge to all residents.
- Parking is available is available in some apartment communities, and permits may be purchased through Transportation & Parking Services.
- An Exercise Room located in the Santa Ynez apartment complex is available to all residents.
- Swimming Pools in El Dorado and Westgate are available to all residents.
- Community Centers are available for study and recreation.
- Recycling is supported and encouraged.
- In-Residence Staff are available for after-hours assistance and community building.
Personal Property Insurance
- The University of California strongly recommends renters insurance for all students. Renters insurance provides valuable protection if your personal belongings are stolen or damaged, including laptop computers, smartphones, bicycles, game consoles, textbooks, clothing and other personal items. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen or damaged, you are responsible for replacing them, not the school. Renter’s insurance may also protect you financially for unintentional damage to the apartment or bodily injury for which you are liable. This GradGuard insurance policy was designed for University of California students. Or, you can check with your family's homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy to see if you are covered. If you don't have your housing assignment when you sign up, please use the following address:
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93107
For more information, please visit: GradGuard Insurance
Gender inclusive housing options are available. For more information, please contact Mario Munoz, Resident Placement & Assignment Services, at firstname.lastname@example.org.