roommates in manzanita village room

Signing Up For UCSB Housing

US Postal Service Mail & Packages

  • The Postal Service and private carrier package deliveries are not operating until after Move In Weekend. For more information about sending and receiving mail, please visit our Residence Hall Mail page.

Residence Hall and Apartment Contract Process

Students are guaranteed housing for all four years of their UCSB experience, either in the residence halls or apartments, as long as all deadlines are met. Through the 2&2 program, students who live in the residence halls for two years are guaranteed housing in the UCSB apartments for their third and fourth years.

Guaranteed Freshmen

Incoming freshmen for fall quarter are guaranteed a space in the residence halls if deadlines are met. 

  • Contract is accessible online after the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) is submitted.
  • Students who submit a SIR after May 1st will be offered a contract only if space is available.
  • Read the contract, complete the online Personal Preference Form, and digitally sign contract by the deadline.
  • All documents must be completed and digitally signed by the contract deadline to secure a space in the residence halls.
  • Residents will be notified of their hall and room assignment in early September.

Transfer, Education Abroad Program (EAP), and Re-admitted Students

  • Housing is guaranteed for new transfer students in the University Apartments. 
  • Re-Admitted Students and Education Abroad Students are accommodated if space is available.
  • For details, go to the application website.

Continuing Students

  • Students entering their 2nd year at UCSB are eligible for spaces in any residence hall.
  • Students in their 3rd year and higher are eligible for the residence halls or undergraduate apartments.
  • Single, double, and triple occupancy rooms are available in the residence halls.
    • Four, six, or eight person suites with living room in San Rafael Hall
  • Double occupancy rooms are available in 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments.
  • Contracts available during early February for the following academic year
  • Priority consideration given for contracts returned before the priority deadline
  • For details, go to the application website

Requests to Cancel Residence Hall or Apartment Contract

Cancelling prior to moving in:

  • Cancel via the housing online cancellation form prior to September 1st
  • September 1st or later: contract holder will be held rent responsible until a replacement is found or contract holder withdraws from UCSB
  • Cancellation fee (liquidated damages fee):
    • With completed cancellation form prior to April 15th: $100
    • With completed cancellation form after April 15th and prior to September 1st: $350

Cancelling after moving in, prior to the end of the academic year:
Your residence hall contract is for the entire academic year. Cancellations are approved for only the following reason: graduation, marriage, withdrawal from the university, academic or judicial dismissal, transferring to another institution, or participating in a university authorized educational leave program (EAP, UCDC, etc).

  • Obtain withdrawal or cancellation verification from the Registrar’s Office. The Office of Student Life can assist if you are not physically at UCSB.
  • Bring verification to University & Community Housing Services on the third floor of the UCen, above the Campus Store. Business hours are Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm. 805-893-4371.
  • If approved by Housing Services, obtain move out instructions from the Housing Services Coordinator.
  • Room and Board charges will be refunded prorated to the day the move out is complete and all required documents are submitted.
  • Cancellation fee (liquidated damages fee):
    • 30-day or more written notice: $250
    • less than 30-day written notice: $350

Requests to move out of the residence halls prior to the end of your housing contract and remain enrolled at UCSB will be accepted only through petition.
Submitting a petition does not guarantee that you will be released from your contractual obligation. You will be released only if the University has a replacement for you.

  • Obtain the link to the petition process from University & Community Housing Services. Submit the required documentation and petiton form online.
  • Petition for Exception Committee decisions may take up to four weeks before students are notified of a decision.

Roommate Matching

Most matches are great and roommates remain friends for years! Whatever the match, respect, communication, and flexibility are great traits for a successful pairing!

  • Requests for mutually preferred roommates are accepted.
  • We match students without a preferred roommate using a 14-question lifestyle survey.
  • Roommate’s names and U-Mail addresses are included in the room assignment notices.
  • Early communication between roommates minimizes conflicts. Use the Roommate Agreement Form as a discussion tool. Your RA will provide these during your community meetings.

Room Changes

Unresolved roommate conflicts should be mediated through the RA. If no improvements occur, you may consider a room change.

  • No room changes are allowed without prior official approval, and room changes are based on availability.
  • Make an appointment with your Resident Director (RD) or Complex Coordinator (CC) at your hall front desk or complex office to discuss room change options and procedures.
  • If space is available, you will have 3 days to complete your move. Return your old room keys to avoid being billed for both rooms.
  • No changes allowed before the second week or after study week of each quarter.
  • $50 fine for unauthorized room changes and disciplinary action may follow.

Housing Payments

  • Housing room and board fees are billed through BARC.
  • Installment payments are due on the first of the month.
  • If an installment is not paid by the 15th, a $20 late fee will be charged, and eviction proceedings may begin.
  • If you are having difficulty with your payment schedule, contact University & Community Housing Services 805-893-4371 prior to the due date to discuss payment options.