WELCOME to the UCSB Residence Halls, Home of the Gauchos! The Residence Halls are a great way to meet people and get involved.
UCSB owns and operates eight residence halls in three campus locations with a variety of building styles and floor plans.
- Located in three geographic areas of the campus:
- Storke Campus
- Main Campus East
- Main Campus West
- All are within walking or biking distance to classes, dining commons, and recreational facilities
- Most provide double rooms shared by two students
- Triple rooms shared by three students are offered as well in order to accommodate all of our incoming students and to provide different options for your budget.
- A limited number of single rooms are also available
Amenities in the Residence Halls
- High-speed wireless internet access in all rooms
- Furnished accommodations for both men and women
- included: bed, desk, desk chair, dresser, closet w/mirror & towel bar, wastebasket, drapes
- Please bring (not included): linens, blankets, pillows, towels, mattress pads, and bedspreads
- Lounge, study space, and kitchenettes
- Regular housekeeping, card-operated laundry rooms, and 24-hour on-call maintenance and emergency staff
- 4 Green-Business Certified dining facilities with choice of meal plans
- Live-in staff coordinate social and educational activities, serve as peer advisors and manage the building
- Wheelchair accessible facilities
- Living Learning Communities and programming
- Leadership opportunities in student hall government
- Employment opportunities in housing and dining facilities
To inquire about gender inclusive housing options available for students that identify as trans* or non-binary, please contact Mario Muñoz, University & Community Housing Services, at email@example.com.
Personal Property Insurance
The University of California strongly recommends renters insurance for all students. Renters insurance provides valuable protection if your personal belongings are stolen or damaged, including laptop computers, smartphones, bicycles, game consoles, textbooks, clothing and other personal items. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen or damaged, you are responsible for replacing them, not the school. Renter’s insurance may also protect you financially for unintentional damage to the residence hall or bodily injury for which you are liable. This GradGuard insurance policy was designed for University of California students. Or, you can check with your family's homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy to see if you are covered. If you don't have your housing assignment when you sign up, please use the following address:
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93107
For more information, please visit: GradGuard Insurance
Residence Hall Staff (phone numbers can be found here)
- All halls staffed by live-in Resident Director (RD), Assistant Resident Director (ARD), and Resident Assistants (RAs).
- Students reside in living groups with approximately fifty other students and an RA.
- The RA, a continuing UCSB student, is a resource for students who need information or personal assistance.
- RA staff are responsible for coordinating residence hall programs.
- Live-in staff are important resources for all aspects of academic and social university life.
- Residential & Community Living assists professional staff and oversees students and staff in residential communities.
- Directors of Residential & Community Living provide leadership to student staff and guidance to the residence hall community.
- Student desk attendants are selected, trained, and supervised by the Assistant Resident Directors and offer quality service to residents.
Residence Hall Dining
- Four dining commons: Carrillo, Ortega, Portola and De La Guerra
- Meal service for all residents
- Meal selections include daily choices for vegetarians, vegans, and weight watchers. Please visit the Residential Dining website to learn more about Nutrition resources in the Dining Commons.
- Many foods cooked to order
- Theme and international dinners provided
- Unlimited seconds offered
- Meals for group functions, such as picnics, accommodated at no additional charge
Please note: We are unable to make special arrangements for restricted diets. Meal Plans are required for students residing in the residence halls.
Student Employment Program
- Integral part of the community experience
- Provides students residing in university housing with priority for part-time jobs within Housing & Residential Services
- Competitive pay scale
- Jobs include housekeeping, maintenance, grounds, clerical, food service, and residence hall desk attendant.
- Provides students with opportunities for community involvement
- Helps create more responsive programs in the residence halls
- Students scheduled for work based on each quarter’s class schedule and academic load
- Students select a schedule of 12–16 hours of work per week during the academic year and up to 40 hours per week during the summer and quarter breaks.
- Further information online: Housing Student Employment