jumping on beach at sunset

College Mental Health

FOR SOME STUDENTS, the stresses of college can result in mental health issues. Some students come to college with a previously diagnosed mental health condition and are under the care of a physician or psychiatrist; these students may wish to transfer their care to UCSB professionals at Student Health Service. Other students may develop symptoms such as depression and anxiety for the first time while in college. Although mental health issues can be challenging, with the proper medication and therapy, students can be very successful in the college environment. Consultation, diagnosis, and treatment for many common mental health symptoms is available from psychiatrists at Student Health Service 805-893-3371, and free and confidential counseling is available from licensed psychologists at Counseling and Psychological Services 805-893-4411.

If you live in university-owned housing, there are trained and friendly staff members who are there to help you. Don’t hesitate to contact your resident director (RD), assistant resident director (ARD), or resident assistant (RA).

Counseling and Psychological Services

Counseling and Psychological Services is located in Building 599 (the pink building across from Storke Tower) and open M-F from 8:30am-4:30pm. Call 805-893-4411 or visit the Counseling and Psychological Services website.

UCSB After Hours Counseling

If you’d like to speak with a counselor during the night, or on weekends or holidays, simply call Counseling and Psychological Services at 805-893-4411. You can call to talk about yourself, or to discuss a friend about whom you are concerned.