Residence Halls

Can I stay in the residence halls during breaks?

Residents in any residence hall may opt to stay over the Thanksgiving break without an additional fee. However, you may only stay in the residence halls during winter and/or spring break if you live in select buildings and agree to pay the fee associated with each break period. You should plan ahead if you think that you might need housing during these break periods so that you can be placed in one of four eligible halls: Manzanita Village, San Nicolas Residence Hall, San Miguel Residence Hall or San Rafael Residence Hall.

Can I move in before/after my move-in date?

We cannot allow students to move in to their residence hall room or apartment before their assigned move-in date because the building will not be staffed and ready to accommodate residents. However, residents are welcome to move-in after their assigned move-in date/time as long as they are moved in before the start of classes. If you have any questions or concerns about move-in, please call University & Community Housing Services at (805) 893-4371.

How do I switch rooms?

If you're interested in changing rooms within your building or moving to another community entirely, you will need to contact the Resident Director (RD) or Complex Coordinator (CC) of your building by going to the front desk or complex main office. They will be able to talk to you about the room change process and what options are available. Please note that room changes do not occur during the first two or last two weeks of any quarter, and all changes are subject to availability.

My computer's not connecting to the residential network (ResNet). Who can help me?

The ResNet staff can help you! There are service centers in San Nicolas, Manzanita Village, and Santa Catalina where you can talk to and receive help from a member of the ResNet staff. You can also email with specific questions and concerns! More contact information as well as the ResNet information and policies can be found online at   

Can I live in University Housing if I am not a full-time student?

As a student living in University Housing, you are required to be enrolled as a full-time student during the academic year. To be considered a full-time student, undergraduates must take a minimum of 12 units per quarter and graduate students must take a minimum of 8 units per quarter. Each student is allowed to carry a deficit load (fewer units than full-time status) once per academic year and no action is required.

Should I have personal property insurance?

The University of California strongly recommends renters insurance for all students. Renters insurance provides valuable protection if your personal belongings are stolen or damaged, including laptop computers, smartphones, bicycles, game consoles, textbooks, clothing and other personal items. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen or damaged, you are responsible for replacing them, not the school.

How do you match roommates?

We ask fourteen lifestyle questions during the personal preferences process that is accessed via the Contracts page.

If students are self-assigning their space, you'll be able to see responses to others' Personal Preferences/Lifestyle Questionnaire during self-assign to make good choices for yourself. If you have specific people with whom you want to live, review instructions on booking roommate groups.

How do I apply to be a Resident Assistant (RA)?

Specific information about how to become an RA in the Residence Halls and the Apartments for the subsequent school year is typically released around the end of fall quarter. The application for the RA position should become live online around the end of fall quarter. In the beginning of winter quarter, Residential & Community Living (R&CL) usually puts on optional information sessions to give everyone the chance to learn more about the position, listen to current RAs share their experiences, and ask any questions about the position.