FAMILY STUDENT HOUSING provides a limited number of one- and two-bedroom, single-family units for full-time UCSB students. The apartments are rented on a month-to-month basis and are located in two separate complexes approximately one mile from the main campus. Families with children are given priority.
- Available on-line and can be completed anytime, including prior to admittance to the university (highly encouraged due to estimated wait time)
- Priority given to families with children, then married couples; otherwise, vacancies are filled in order by the date of application and desired move in date
- Families with children can expect to wait 3-6 months or less, based on availability
- Families without children can expect to wait 6-12 months, based on availability
- Future renovation projects may extend the estimated waiting periods
- A "family" is defined as an established, long-term relationship with an exclusive mutual commitment in which members share the necessities of life and on-going responsibility for their common welfare. Eligible family members include:
- Your child(ren)
- Your spouse
- Your domestic partner
- Other family members must be reviewed and approved by University & Community Housing Services
Students must reside with at least one eligible family member on a permanent, full-time basis in Family Student Housing. Documentation of eligibility is required. Although not required, an interview may be conducted to further determine your family eligibility.
*Roomers and/or boarders are not allowed to share apartments with approved tenants.
Furnishings & Facilities
- Kitchens are equipped with wood cabinets, a gas stove, exhaust fan, electric refrigerator, and garbage disposal. Major appliances other than those furnished are not permitted.
- Bathrooms have a tub-shower unit, wash basin, toilet, and medicine cabinet.
- High-speed internet access is included in all apartments.
- Parking is limited to one space per apartment. Permits for a second vehicle are limited and only available through a waiting list process. A permit may be purchased to park your second car in one of our other facilities.
- Schools are located from one block to three miles away.
- An exercise room in the Santa Ynez apartment complex is available to all residents of Family Student Housing for a small membership fee.
- Gardening plots are available in a community vegetable garden.
- Playgrounds, volleyball, basketball, and baseball areas are available to all residents.
- Community Centers are available for study and recreation.
- Recycling is supported and encouraged.
- In-Residence Staff: Complex Coordinator, Assistant Complex Coordinator, and Resident Assistants (RAs).
Personal Property Insurance
- The University of California strongly recommends renters insurance for all students. Renters insurance provides valuable protection if your personal belongings are stolen or damaged, including laptop computers, smartphones, bicycles, game consoles, textbooks, clothing, and other personal items. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen or damaged, you are responsible for replacing them - not the school. Renter’s insurance may also protect you financially for unintentional damage to the apartment and/ or bodily injury for which you are liable. The GradGuard insurance policy (link below) was designed for University of California students. Alternatively, you can check with your private homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy about coverage. If you don't have your housing assignment when you sign up, please use the following address:
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93107
For more information, please visit: GradGuard Insurance