Today's blog post comes from Nutrition Intern Alysa Velasquez! Enjoy.
When was the last time you ordered a glass of water instead of a sugary beverage at a restaurant? As college students, it is hard to not be tempted by unhealthy energy drinks, sodas, or sweetened juices. Even I love the occasional lemonade to drink with my Italian sub sandwich. But it is extremely important to learn the facts and to educate others on the importance of drinking water.
According to research, it is recommended that women and men should be drinking about 2-4 liters of water per day. Some may need more or less water depending on frequency of exercise, environment (such as hot weather), age, and gender. Water helps your body:
• Keep your temperature normal
• Removes waste through urination and perspiration
• Lubricates and cushions joints
• Protects sensitive tissues
Drinking water is vital to your health. Water makes up 60% of your body weight and depends on water to survive. Water is needed for normal cell, tissue and organ function. Drinking water may also help prevent your body from reaching fatigue. If you’re looking for an energy boost, take a few gulps of water or snack on hydrating foods, such as, oranges, watermelon, or pineapple. Water can also help you cut down on calorie intake and improve weight control. Drinking water before, during, and after a meal can make your stomach feel full and help you lose weight.
Here are 3 tips to increase you water intake:
1. When dining out, ask for a cup of water instead of ordering a sweetened beverage. This will also help you save money!
2. Invest in a reusable water bottle and take it with you everywhere you go. This will help you get in the habit of constantly taking sips of water. You will soon find that your water bottle is the one thing you cannot leave the house without.
3. If water becomes boring, spice it up with cut fruits and herbs.
As a community, we are fortunate enough to have clean drinking water and fresh fruit offered all around us. So, take advantage and drink your way to a healthier body!