International Students

international studenCurrently all housing guarantees are suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS who are regularly admitted students are guaranteed housing as long as they adhere to application procedures and deadlines. Please visit Our Communities page for the housing options available for each class level (freshman, transfer, graduate student, etc.) Community Housing Services can help international students find privately-owned accommodations in the community.

Information & Resources

  • Housing during University closures: Residence Halls traditionally close during Winter and Spring breaks. In order to accommodate primarily international and out of state students, we provide housing during closures for those who cannot go home. Students requesting housing during the breaks will be assigned to Manzanita Village, San Miguel Hall, San Nicolas Hall, or San Rafael Hall. Since the university is officially closed, only minimal services are provided during these times (i.e. no meal service and only emergency staffing.) Please indicate your request for this special housing on the personal preference form. 
  • Student Hotel: Residence Hall rooms are available for short-term stays before Fall Quarter begins. Reservations are suggested. All international students are required to attend CALI Training, which may be scheduled prior to move-in. Check with the Office of International Students & Scholars for the CALI Training schedule
  • For Fall Quarter only, international students living in the residence halls during the academic year can move into their assigned residence hall the Wednesday before the hall officially opens and pay the Student Hotel rate. Please note, this only applies to fall quarter and only minimal services are provided during this time (i.e. no meal service.) International students living in the UCSB Apartments will need to utilize the Student Hotel as the apartments will not be open before Move In Weekend.
  • Tips for International Students Interested in Privately-owned Accommodations in the Community
  • Exchange and Education Abroad students, as well as UCSB Extension students, should visit Our Communities Page to see housing options available to them.
  • If you are interested in a University-affiliated residence hall or apartment adjacent to UCSB, please visit Tropicana Student Living.
  • For more information, please contact University & Community Housing Services.