May 6, 2014
DID YOU KNOW?
- In 2012-13, 1,092,840 glasses of milk and 112,007 chocolate chip cookies were consumed in the Dining Commons.
- We offer 800+ employment and leadership positions to our student residents.
- There are 9 bike fix-it stations throughout our communities. It’s a stand that holds nearly any bike and includes an air pump and basic tools.
- This academic year, 93% of UCSB freshmen are living in the UCSB Residence Halls & 43% of transfer students live in UCSB apartments. Fun Fact: 122 men and 359 women lived in the Residence Halls in 1954.
- In our Dining Commons, 50% of fresh produce is grown on local farms (within 250 miles), over 25% is organic and/or sustainably grown without pesticides, and 38% of total food purchases are considered sustainable.
- We have 18 Living Learning Communities, such as Outdoor Adventure Floor, Multicultural Experience, Creative & Performing Arts Floor, and First Year Residential Experience Floor.
- We offer more than 1,500 community-building programs to our residents every year.
- Student diners consume 300 sushi rolls a day at Ortega Dining Commons.
- There are 10 pianos available for residents to play throughout our communities and Dining Commons.
- We are 100% Gaucho and not-for-profit.
- Our Dining Commons are composting 100% of pre- and post-consumer food waste, and recycling and diverting 90% of total waste from landfills.
- We maintain five swimming pools. They are located at El Dorado Apartments, Westgate Apartments, Westwinds Apartments, Santa Catalina Residence Hall, and Manzanita Village.
- We are 2 weeks into a month long water savings contest. So far, UCSB Residence Hall and Apartment residents have saved 117,860 gallons of water!
- We have 167 Live-in staff in our communities: 9 Resident Directors & 3 Complex Coordinators, all of whom have master’s degrees and are a great resource if you’re considering graduate school; 12 Assistant Resident Directors and 3 Assistant Complex Coordinators, all UCSB Graduates; and 140 Resident Assistants, all current UCSB students.
NOW YOU KNOW!