Billing and Contract Information
To avoid issues, the following information will help you to navigate through the payment process:
- Housing room and board or rent fees are billed through BARC. To view the balance on your BARC account, you can visit the BARC website.
- Quarterly payment plans are due on the 1st of the month in which payment is due (typically September, December, and March; check your contract for more detailed information). Payments are always due on the first of the month.
- If payment is not made by the 15th of the month in which payment is due, a $20 late fee will be assessed.
- If you anticipate difficulty with the payment schedule, contact BARC to setup a payment plan prior to the due date to discuss payment options.
- Please note that room and board in the residence halls is billed by the number of days per quarter in each of three quarters. Each payment installment may not have the same amount of days so each quarter's room and board charges may differ slightly. However, the annual total will reflect the information on our rates table. Additionally, a monthly payment plan in which each quarter is billed in three parts is available by contacting BARC.
Requests to Cancel Residence Hall and Apartment Contracts
Cancelling prior to moving in:
- There is a cancellation fee and a replacement is needed if we no longer have an active waiting list. Cancellation fees are as follows:
- Prior to April 15th: $100
- April 15th - September 1st: $350
- After September 1st: $350 and the contract holder is rent responsible until a replacement is found
Cancelling after moving in, prior to the end of the academic year:
Your university housing contract is for the entire academic year. Cancellations are approved by request for the following reasons only: graduation, marriage, withdrawal from the university, academic or judicial dismissal, transferring to another institution, or participating in a university authorized educational leave program (EAP, UCDC, etc).
- Obtain withdrawal or cancellation verification from the Registrar’s Office. If you are not physically at UCSB due to extenuating circumstances and need assistance with this process, you can contact the Student-Parent Liaison in the Office of the Dean of Students.
- Submit a Contract Cancellation Request online for review by University & Community Housing Services (the link for each residential community is available on the corresponding contract webpage).
- If approved by University & Community Housing Services, you will be provided with move out instructions (including a move out date no sooner than three business days subsequent to the date of submission*).
- Room and board or rent charges will be refunded prorated to the assigned move out date provided all required documents have been submitted and personal belongings have been removed.
- Cancellation fee (liquidated damages):
- 30-day or more written notice: $250
- less than 30-day written notice: $350
*While residents may choose to move out prior to their approved date, they are still rent responsible through their approved date (or until personal belongings have been removed, whichever is later).
Requests to move out of university housing prior to the end of your housing contract and remain enrolled at UCSB will be accepted only through Petition for Exception. Submitting a petition for exception does not guarantee that you will be released from your contractual obligation; rather, you will be released only if the University has a replacement for you.
- Request a link to the Petition for Exception process from University & Community Housing Services. Complete the online petition form and submit any additional documentation that may support your request.
- While petition intake occurs daily, the committee of housing professionals meets once per month to formally review petitions after which petitioners are notified of decisions. In total, this process could take up to eight weeks depending on the date of submission and the urgency of the request.