Billing and Contract Information

Housing Payments

To avoid issues, the following information will help you to navigate through the payment process.

  • Housing room and board fees are billed through BARC. To view the balance on your BARC account, you can visit the BARC website.
  • Payments are always due on the first of the month. Quarterly payment plans are due on the 1st of the month that payment is due (check your contract for more detailed information).
  • If payment is not made by the 15th of the month, a $20 late fee will be charged.
  • If you are having difficulty with your payment schedule, contact University & Community Housing Services at 805-893-4371 or prior to the due date to discuss payment options.
  • Please note that Room and Board in the residence halls is billed by the number of days per quarter. Additionally, each quarter is billed in three parts if you choose the "monthly" payment option in the residence halls. Each payment installment may not have the same amount of days and each quarter's Room & Board charges may differ slightly. However, the annual total will reflect the information on our rates table. Those with "monthly" payment plans for fall quarter can expect billing deadlines in September, October, and November. For winter quarter billing deadlines will be December, January, and February, and for spring quarter billing deadlines will be March, April, and May.   

Requests to Cancel Residence Hall and Apartment Contracts

Cancelling prior to moving in:

  • There is a cancellation fee and a replacement is needed if we no longer have an active waiting list. Cancellation fees are as follows:
    • Prior to April 15, 2019: $100
    • April 15, 2019 - September 1, 2019: $350
    • After September 1, 2019: contract holder is rent responsible until a replacement is found

Cancelling after moving in, prior to the end of the academic year:
Your university housing contract is for the entire academic year. Cancellations are approved for only the following reasons: graduation, marriage, withdrawal from the university, academic or judicial dismissal, transferring to another institution, or participating in a university authorized educational leave program (EAP, UCDC, etc).

  • Obtain withdrawal or cancellation verification from the Registrar’s Office. The Office of Student Life can assist if you are not physically at UCSB.
  • Bring verification to University & Commiunity Housing Services in UCen Room 3151 (3rd floor). Business hours are Monday – Friday 9:00am – 5:00pm.
  • If approved by University & Community Housing Services, you will be provided with move out instructions.
  • Room and board charges will be refunded prorated to the day the move out is complete and all required documents are submitted.
  • Cancellation fee (liquidated damages fee):
    • 30-day or more written notice: $250
    • less than 30-day written notice: $350

Requests to move out of university housing prior to the end of your housing contract and remain enrolled at UCSB will be accepted only through petition for exception. Submitting a petition for exception does not guarantee that you will be released from your contractual obligation. You will be released only if the University has a replacement for you.

  • Obtain a petition for exception from University & Community Housing Services. Complete the online petition form and submit any additional documentation that is required.
  • The Petition for Exceptions Committee meets once per month and decisions may take up to two weeks after the committee meets before students are notified of a decision.