The Special Housing Accommodations committee reviews requests from students with disability-based housing needs. If you are seeking an accommodation in university housing:
- Contact University & Community Housing Services (UCHS) via phone (805-893-4371) or email (email@example.com) to request the Special Housing Accommodations form be sent to your university email account. Complete the Request for Special Housing Accommodations in its entirety (Parts I through III).
- Complete the Specific Request Form (Part I of the Request for Special Housing Accommodations).
- Have your physician/clinician complete the Diagnosing Professional’s Form (Part II of the Request for Special Housing Accommodations).
- Complete the Information Release Form (Part III of the Request for Special Housing Accommodations).
- Submit the completed form to UCHS via email or fax at 877-885-9902.
Please note that the review committee meets monthly and be aware that the entire process can take up to six weeks before you are notified about the status of your request.
- You must have applied for university housing via the online process and must be eligible for university housing as well as meet deadlines and payments established by UCHS. If you are concerned about your housing eligibility, please consult the UCHS office staff.
- The Request for Special Housing Accommodations is supplemental to the university housing contract.
- The Diagnosing Professional’s Form (Part II of the Request for Special Housing Accommodations) must be completed by a certified, licensed professional (e.g., primary care physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, LCSW, or LMFT) that is not a relative of the applicant.
- To request a disability accommodation for an Emotional Support Animal (ESA), please contact UCHS to inquire about a separate process which requires a cover letter as well as a letter of support from a diagnosing professional and can take up to eight weeks before you are notified about the status of your request.
- The Special Housing Accommodations committee only recommends accommodations based on a documented, medical need; housing preferences are handled by UCHS.
- You will be notified about the status of your request after the committee has reviwed your documentation and made a decision as to whether an accommodation is recommended.