residence halls

Can I move in before/after my move-in date?

We cannot allow students to move in to their residence hall room before their assigned move-in date because the building will not be staffed and ready to accommodate residents. However, residents are welcome to move-in after their assigned move-in date/time as long as they are moved in before the start of classes. If you have any questions or concerns about Residence Hall move-in, please call Residence Hall Assignment Services at (805) 893-5513.

What is my mailing information?

Each student is assigned a mailbox that is used during the academic year as long as the student lives in the UCSB residence halls. Mailboxes are shared by two people, usually, but not always, with your roommate. A student’s room number is not the mailing address. Students will be notified of their mailbox numbers prior to the opening of the halls. The mailboxes are at the Post Office located in the University Center (UCen).

Where do I make my housing payment?

Housing payments are made along with all BARC payments and can be made in person at the Cashier's Office, Student Affairs Building, SAASB 1212, Monday through Friday, 9am-4pm.

The mailing address for payment is University of California Santa Barbara, P.O. Box 743262, Los Angeles, CA 90074-3262

Make checks payable to UC Regents and always put your student identification number (PERM number) on your check.

Can I have a microwave oven in my room?

No. For your safety as well as your hallmates' safety, and by order of the UCSB Fire Marshal, no cooking equipment, including microwave or toaster ovens, grills, hot plates, coffee makers, toasters, panini makers, rice cookers, slow cookers, induction cookware, etc. are permitted in any student room. We provide microwave ovens in hall kitchenettes for students’ use. Each residence hall front desk has pots, pans, etc., for check out using your Access ID card.

My financial aid hasn't come through and I don't know when it will.

We recommend that students who anticipate receiving any form of financial aid, (scholarships, grants and/or loans) select Payment Plan B. This plan usually coincides with the quarterly distribution of financial aid. If your room and board fees are not going to be paid by the deadline date (either by you or Financial Aid), you will need to contact Residence Halls Assignment Services to make payment arrangements.