Currently there are about 1,600 real estate agents who service the Santa Barbara Area. Some agents specialize in a particular area, where as many service all areas of Goleta, Hope Ranch, Santa Barbara, Montecito, Summerland and Carpinteria.
Remember, it is always a good idea to interview at least 3 Realtors before beginning your property search. You may want to ask them…
- Number of years in the business and # of transactions/year?
- Area(s) of specialization?
- Will you be working directly with them or an assistant?
- How available are they? Do they work weekends? Nights? Etc.
- Are they a member of the Coastal Housing Partnership?
There are many ways to locate an agent that is appropriate for your needs. Here are a few examples:
- Call the Santa Barbara Association of Realtors at 805-963-3787 or visit their web site at www.sbaor.com. All 1,600 agents will be listed on their web site.
- Look in the Santa Barbara News Press. Most agents will advertise on Sunday. It is also online at www.sbcoast.com. On Sunday afternoons, drive by some open houses in the area(s) you are interested in.
- UCSB is a member of the Coastal Housing Partnership at www.coastalhousing.org. Many Realtors will give discounts ( approx. 20%) to Coastal Housing Partnership Employees. (example: $700,000 purchase price x 3% x 20% = $4,200 buyer rebate)
- If you would like to make an appointment for an interview, you may want to contact a Real Estate Broker who will match you up with their most qualified agents.
The Brokers for the Top Five Real Estate Companies in Santa Barbara (# of transactions) are:
- Coldwell Banker – Bob Ruccione, Broker 805-563-7281
- Prudential – Patti Brotherton, Broker 805-879-8011
- RE/MAX – Diana Bull, Owner/Broker 805-687-2600
- Sotheby’s – Greg Tice, Broker 805-969-9993
- Village Properties – Renee Grubb, Broker/Owner 805-565-8868
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact John Gaffney in the Faculty Housing Office at 805-893-3772.
Historically, the Faculty Housing Office has been a resource for Realtor, Escrow Company and Lender referrals. The University of California does not endorse any referred vendor. Referrals to private sector Lenders and Realtors are provided for information and comparison purposes only. They are not meant to preclude your seeking a Lender or Realtor of your choice.