- This past May we celebrated Santa Rosa Residence Hall’s 60th birthday, and we recently installed a plaque to memorialize the opening of our first official residence hall (previously students lived in old marine barracks.) Santa Rosa has not only aged well, she’s also LEED certified Gold!
- We recently cheered on one of our talented & caring staff members, Mario Muñoz, as he came rolling through Santa Ynez Apartments on his way to completing the AIDS Ride... all 545 miles! And he raised over $5000! Way to go Mario!
- Congratulations to Dr. Amit Ahuja, our Faculty in Residence, for being recognized with the Margaret T. Getman Service to Students Award! Dr. Ahuja assists residents with advice, provides opportunities for students to meet UCSB Faculty, and helps to create a spirit of community in Manzanita Village and San Rafael Hall. Dr. Ahuja lives in Manzanita Village and has an office in the De Anza Resource Center, and you can often see him dining in Carrillo Dining Commons.
Santa Rosa Recognitions Mario Muñoz Dr. Amit Ahuja
- The Strategic Plan Continuous Innovation Team hosted the 1st Annual “Finals Food Truck” event last month at the Santa Ynez Apartment Complex. Residents were e-mailed and asked to complete a survey, and the first 100 residents to turn in the survey got four free tacos. The event was co-sponsored by the Student Apartments Community Council (SACC). It was a huge success and a great collaborative effort! The team's goal was to explore innovative food concepts to provide convenient, flexible, and safe options within our community. Team members look forward to reviewing the survey results and planning for the future!
- This past May was CycleMAYnia, a month long celebration where riders record their bike mileage for some friendly competition, as well as for the desire to put less cars on the road and get fit along the way. We are happy to report that the H&RS team Los Pumas* was the 10th place team in Santa Barbara County out of 52 teams! Congratulations team! And keep rolling to work and for fun! Together we can make a difference. (*Ken Ardry, Brian Graham, Paul Kouns, Julie Levangie, Feras Maidaa, Adriana Perez, John Pollock, Mark Rousseau, Martin Schneider, & Brian Shively.
- Rebecca Villaneda of Residential Operations is now a published author! She and photographer Mike Spitz created The Record Store Book – Fifty of Southern California’s Most Iconic and Legendary Record Stores. The coffee table book blends colorful imagery from more than 45 record stores and in-depth interviews by Rebecca with store owners to capture the lively experience of the independent record shop and how it provides a communal gathering place. Rebecca said the project was “a natural fit,” as she studied journalism in college, minored in music, and has been collecting vinyl since high school. Congratulations Rebecca on this impressive accomplishment!
Students Enjoying Free Tacos 10th Place Cyclemania Certificate Rebecca Villaneda