- Hayden Dozier, a Principal Cook at Portola Dining Commons, brought home a bronze medal from The National Association of College & University Food Services Culinary Challenge for his Asian Buffalo Trio. Congratulations Hayden!
- On April 15th, a trophy was presented to UCSB's PowerSave Campus Team at Ellison Hall. This was in recognition of the UCSB Residence Halls winning 1st place among all UC schools in the Campus Conservation Energy Savings Contest! We had an overall 7.7% reduction in energy use in the residence halls compared to previous baselines. Manzanita saved the most energy (11.4%). We also had a water contest at the same time and Santa Catalina saved the most water (5.7%). This was right on the heels of Princeton Review ranking UCSB the 3rd Greenest College in the US (and the #1 public university!) Go Green Gauchos!
- Every year the Executive Director's Office donates 1500+ dining commons meals to prospective students. Below is a photo from the Vietnamese Student Association’s outreach program. The high school students loved eating in the Dining Commons and getting a taste of college life.
Hayden Dozier PowerSave Campus Team1 Vietnamese Student Outreach2
- Three of our talented & caring staff members - Joaquin Becerra, Brian Mathis, and Rich Trocio - have been nominated for the Margaret T. Getman Service to Students Award. Our Faculty-in-Residence, Dr. Ahuja, has also been nominated. Congratulations to all nominees, and thank you for your extraordinary commitment to UCSB! The nominees and recipients (yet to be selected) will be honored with a reception on Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 9 a.m., at the Student Affairs Divisional Meeting in Corwin Pavilion.
- Mike Smith, Business Intelligence Developer in ARIT, along with three others (including two Gauchos), won the UCSB Women’s Soccer Team Golf Tournament in April. The tournament is an annual fundraiser for the team.
- Residential Dining Services has won the Environmental Protection Agency's 2015 Food Recovery Challenge Award! The award is given to businesses and organizations that reduce environmental impact by preventing and reducing food waste.
- Our annual Service Award Ceremony was this past April 30th. We celebrated 51 talented and caring staff members with a cumulative total of 710 years of service to the UC! Congratulations to the honored staff for reaching these extraordinary plateaus!
Photo by Alex Ramos.
Top Row: John Gaffney (15 yrs), Francisco Ramirez (10 yrs), Tim Sullivan (10 yrs), Stephen Federlein (10 yrs), Robbie Wright (20 yrs), Stephen Figone (10 yrs)
Middle Row: Marco Torres (10 yrs), Emilio Zamorano (15 yrs), Maria Godoy (10 yrs), Jose Barajas (15 yrs), Jill Horst (20 yrs), Ozzie Carrara (10 yrs), Joe Allegretti (20 yrs), Vicente Perez Chavez (10 yrs), Martin Elizondo (10 yrs), Roberto Flores (10 yrs)
Bottom Row: Caesar Martinez (20 yrs), Manuel Munoz (15 yrs), Eric Zobel (20 yrs), Alma Almador (10 yrs), Susana Contreras (10 yrs), Teresa Castillo (10 yrs), Elizabeth Pizano (10 yrs), Marian Bankins (30 yrs), Lisa Slavid (20 yrs), Angelica Diaz (10 yrs), Arturo Perez (10 yrs)
1Photo by George Foulsham
2Photo by Nicole Tran