What is FSSP?
The Freshman Summer Start Program (FSSP) is designed for incoming first-year students to jump-start their academic career at UC Santa Barbara in a fun and immersive environment that enables approximately 500 freshmen to get a preview of student life at UCSB. Students participating in FSSP are housed in San Nicolas Residence Hall. Located steps from the Pacific Ocean, this residence hall will also house nearly a dozen live-in staff (eight peer Resident Assistants and three professional Lead Staff) trained to ensure students are safe and enjoy their time at their new home away from home.
Steps to the 2018 FSSP Housing Process
- Register for FSSP. University & Community Housing Services regularly receives updates of students attending FSSP from the Summer Session office.
- Look for information in your U-Mail after you register for the program with information about the housing assignment process for FSSP. *Note: FSSP participants who don’t have a housing contract for academic year will sign a housing contract just for the summer during this process and the Housing Services staff will manually place these students in available spaces in San Nicolas for FSSP only.
- In late July final room assignment confirmations and move-in information for FSSP will be sent to students’ U-Mails. This e-mail will include a link to roommate names and U-Mail addresses, as well as assigned days and times for FSSP move-in and/ or Wednesday “drop-off” for Orientation Session #11 participants.
- In early September, students remaining for fall will receive an e-mail to their U-Mail with a link to any changes to their fall roommates, as well as a move-in parking pass for Opening Weekend. FSSP students are required to leave during the week between FSSP ending and fall quarter move-in occurring, but they may leave their belongings in their room.
Summer Move-in Details
We do our best to ensure move-in goes as smoothly as possible. Move in will occur on Friday, August 3, 12:00 - 5:00pm. Upon arriving to campus you will be greeted by housing staff and directed to the loading/ unloading zones. Once there, the student will check in with the Resident Assistants and receive their room key along with other important information. While that is happening, family or friends who came with the student will work to unload the vehicle so that it can be moved to long-term parking.
Students Doing Orientation Session #11
Although you are encouraged to attend Orientation earlier in the summer, FSSP students who plan to attend Orientation Session #11 will be allowed to arrive on the Wednesday, August 1, 12:00 - 3:00pm before FSSP begins to drop off their belongings in their room. You will not be allowed to spend the night until the actual move-in day on Friday. Orientation participants are housed in Manzanita Village during the program.
On-Campus Overnight Accommodations for Families of FSSP Students
San Joaquin Villages - Orientation Individual Stay
Three-bedroom University apartments are available for parents attending UCSB Orientation. These apartments offer private bathrooms and a kitchen. San Joaquin has made Wednesday night, August 1, 2018 available for the August 2-3, 2018 Orientation session. This is for parents of FSSP students who will be arriving with their student for early drop-off on Wednesday, but you must register and pay online to reserve a space.
The Club & Guest House at UCSB
The Club & Guest House offers 34 boutique hotel-style guest rooms—with single king, double queen, single queen, and ADA accessible options—for a variety of campus guests, including members, visiting scholars, families of students and more. Overnight guests enjoy daily complimentary deluxe continental breakfast with fresh, local and sustainable menu selections.
Cancellation or withdrawal from the Freshman Summer Start Program (FSSP) must be done in writing by e-mailing the FSSP Cancellation Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Housing will then cancel your FSSP Housing based on the list of cancellations provided to our office by the FSSP office. There is a $100 Housing Cancellation fee in addition to any cancellation charge you may incur for the program component of FSSP.
- Are singles available during FSSP? A limited number of singles are available for students with disabilities who require special housing accommodations. Please contact University & Community Housing Services at 805-893-4371 as soon as possible to talk about the process and have them send you the paperwork for the Special Housing Accommodation process.
- Do I have to stay in San Nicolas for the academic year? Students admitted to FSSP will live in San Nicolas for FSSP and the entire academic year. Residents who need to request a building change can do so once the academic year begins; however, room changes are not allowed within the first two weeks of any quarter and are dependent on resident needs and available space.
- If I’m doing FSSP, but my friend isn’t, can I still request them as a roommate? Unfortunately, we will not be able to accommodate roommate requests from FSSP participants for non-FSSP roommates for the 2018-19 academic year after all due to the popularity of FSSP and resulting space limitations in San Nicolas.
- Will campus feel lonely during the summer if all freshmen haven’t moved in yet? There is never a dull moment at UCSB. Thousands of students stay at UCSB for the summer, either to take classes or enjoy the beautiful scenery. Additionally, the Residence Halls are used as conference centers during the summer, hosting a wide range of visitors, from prospective UCSB students to high school summer camps.
- What is there to do? FSSP is a collaboration of a wide-range of campus departments, each putting on events and activities to help incoming freshmen learn about UCSB and acclimate to campus. There are over 50+ programs and events put on during the six-weeks, from Salsa Dancing Lessons, to Academic Fireside Chats. There is one Resident Assistant housed on each floor, with their main purpose being to enhance the residential experience by putting on floor events and building community.
- How many meal swipes do FSSP participants get on a weekly basis? FSSP participants receive 17 meal swipes per week to eat in nearby De La Guerra Dining Commons.
- When do FSSP residents move out? FSSP residents must move out by Saturday, September 15, 2018 by 10:00am. You may leave your belongings in your room, but you will not have access to them until you return for fall quarter.