Today I was reading an article about beans and the article provided a number of awesome tips on how to incorporate beans into your diet. I thought I would go ahead and share some of those tips.
1. Add beans to your morning smoothie. Check out recipes at BeanInstitue.com. This sounds interesting to me. I think the beans will make your smoothie more rich and creamy without adding extra fat! A great idea.
2. Use hummus instead of mayo in wraps or sandwiches. An easy win here.
3. Use beans in place of pasta or potatoes in soups and stews. Beans hold up well in soups and stews. Plus they are an easy addition because they require very little preparation.
4. Combine a can of pureed black beans and a brownie mix. This is an interesting idea. I will have to try this one myself. I wonder if you can taste the beans?
5. And one of my all-time favorites is roasting beans- like the chickpea. Drain and rinse a 15 oz can of chickpeas, dry thoroughly. Spread on baking pan and roast at 400 F for 15 minutes. Combine 2 Tbsp of sugar and 1 Tbsp cinnamon and sprinkle over chickpeas. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Return to oven for 15 more minutes, turn oven off, prop the door open and allow chickpeas to cool in the oven. I also like to use other spices like cumin, a dash of salt and cinnamon.
Adding beans to your diet can be easy. If you are choosing a canned bean, make sure to select a low-sodium product and rinse the beans before adding to your dish. If you want to make beans from scratch – that is even better. You can control how much sodium is added, and the flavor profile is different. I also like to sprout beans and add them to salads. Clearly beans are versatile. Try adding them to your diet too!