It always feels like summer at UCSB, and going to the beach doesn’t just happen during the summer time. If you love going to the beach here are some easy, healthy snacks that complement our perfect weather.
These snacks are simple, portable and can help keep you cool and energized for a day of fun in the sun.
1. Trail mix with whole grain cereal. Trail mix is a convenient on-the-go snack that satisfies your hunger while also providing a range of different nutrients. Depending on the types of nuts and seeds found in your trail mix, you can get B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc, along with many different types of healthful components like phytochemicals and antioxidants.
2. Jerky- try chicken, turkey, salmon or soy. Also, look for a low-sodium option. Jerky can provide 15 grams of protein, potassium, magnesium, and B vitamins.
3. Hummus with dippers. Chickpea’s which are the main ingredient in hummus are packed with protein and fiber. The oil usually olive oil and tahini paste deliver unsaturated fat, which may reduce the risk of heart disease. For the dippers try to be creative- instead of carrot and celery try pepper strips, cucumber, zucchini, sugar snap peas or jicama. You could also enjoy your hummus with whole grain crackers or pita chips.
4. Tuna Salad with Crackers. I personally like my tuna salad made with yogurt instead of the traditional recipe with mayonnaise. You can also add different vegetables like celery, onion, fennel for a crunch. To add a sweet touch try grapes or raisins. Tuna is rich in protein as well as omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids.
5. Fruit Salad. A light and refreshing fruit salad can help keep you cool at the beach. If you don’t have in season ripe fruit- try frozen fruits.
The next time you're headed to the beach, keep these nutritious and portable snack ideas in mind to keep you going all day long.